- Your Government
- County Departments
- Sand Flats Recreation Area
- Rules & Regulations
Rules & Regulations
Camping Rules, Regulations and Other Information
Link to Grand County Ordinance Title 17-Use of Public Lands
- Camp only in a designated site. 10 people, 2 vehicles maximum per site.
- Park motorized vehicles in designated parking areas.
- Do not idly drive around in camping, picnicking and trailhead areas.
- Tents must be on tent pad or within rock lined area and no more than 30' from metal fire ring.
- Build fires in metal fire ring only. Gathering or cutting of firewood is prohibited. No wood pallets. Do not put rocks or trash in the fire ring. Fires must be cold to the touch when you leave camp. Use water to put your fire out, not sand.
- Use toilet facilities located in campgrounds and at trailheads.
- Quiet Hours: 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. No generator use from 8 pm to 8 am.
- For after hour noise disturbance, call Grand County Sheriff’at 435-259-8115.
- Dogs must be kept under restraint and owners must pick up pet excreta. Please do not leave your dog unattended.
- No discharging of firearms or fireworks.
- Campsite checkout time is 11 a.m.
- Camping is limited to 14 days within a 30 day period.
- No littering. Trash dumpsters are located at the Slickrock Bike trail and Fins and Things trail parking areas.
- Operation of motorized vehicle or mountain bike off designated roads and trails is a class A misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment and/or forfeiture of vehicle. There are no open play areas campgrounds included.
- The Fins and Things 4x4 trail section that lies south of the Sand Flats road is open for Day Use Only and restricted one half hour before sunset until one half hour after sunrise.
- Maximum speed on 4x4 trails is 15 MPH.
- Drive or Ride Safe and Sober
- Please protect Moab's watershed and carry spill kits for trail side repairs and cleanup.
- In the backcountry pack out human waste in an approved wet or dry toilet or temporary waste kit that may be legally deposited into a refuse container.
- Respect archeological, paleontological and natural resources. Unauthorized removal or destruction is prohibited.
- To report off road travel or vandalism call Grand County Sheriff at 435-259-8115
- Emergencies call 911
- Dumping: None
- Water: None
- E-Bikes are permitted on the Slickrock Bike Trail and all 4x4 Trails. E-Bikes are prohibited on the Raptor Route and singletrack portions of the Whole Enchilada,including UPS, LPS, and the Porcupine Rim singletrack. Learn more about E-Bikes in Moab HERE.
TentsPlace tents in areas provided. Use tent pads or put tents within rock-lined areas or no more than 30 feet from metal fire ring. Use provided trails to go between campsites rather than walking through fragile soils and vegetation.
CampfiresBring in your own firewood, no wood pallets. Wood collecting is not permitted. Campfires must be in metal fire rings. Do not put rocks, sand or trash in fire rings. Please use water, not sand, to extinguish fires.
TrashPack out all trash. Even the smallest trash will leave the campsite visually unappealing for the next group and maybe for you the next time. There is a trash dumpster and recycling located at the Slickrock Bike Trail parking lot. Recyclables can also be taken to the Moab Recycling Center conveniently located on the Sand Flats Road at the bottom of the hill.
Toilet UseUse toilets provided. Because of lack of rainfall, urine can cause a very unpleasant and lasting odor in your campsite. Do not put trash in toilets. Removing trash is expensive. Use roads and trails for foot access to toilets.
Quiet HoursQuiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. No generator use from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Most campers are seeking a quiet night under the stars and not the noise they left behind in the city. Noise carries in the dry desert air. Keep stereos turned down to a reasonable level. Avoid shouting.
The campground loop roads are not training or testing grounds for ATV's and dirt bikes. Please limit the use of motorized vehicles. The Fins and Things 4x4 trail section that lies south of the Sand Flats road is open for Day Use Only and restricted one half hour before sunset until one half hour after sunrise.
Follow us on social media: