Changing Form of Government
Grand County is currently in the process of changing its form of government. This process has been initialized as part of 2018 House Bill 224. This page is intended to keep the public informed as to the progress of this process.
The first step of this process was to form an "Appointment council" which was tasked to select the "Study Committee".
On February 15, 2019 the Appointment Council members were selected and comprised of Walt Dabney, Jeramy Day, Judy Carmichael, Stephen Stocks and Cole Howe.
On February 26, 2019 the Appointment Council selected the members of the Study Committee, the members are shown to the right.
The approved meeting schedule for the "Change of Form of Government- Study Committee" are Fridays at noon in the County Council Chambers, 125 E. Center Street, Moab, Utah.
Current 2019 meeting dates are:
- March 21, Special Meeting, 5:00 pm
- April 12 & 19
- May 10 & 17
- June 14 & 21
- July 19 & 26
- August 2 & 9
As explained in State Code Title 17, Chapter 52a, Part 4, Section 403:
A study committee shall:
- study the form of government within the county and compare it with other forms available under this chapter;
- determine whether the administration of local government in the county could be strengthened, made more clearly responsive or accountable to the people, or significantly improved in the interest of economy and efficiency by a change in the form of county government;
- hold public hearings and community forums and other means the committee considers appropriate to disseminate information and stimulate public discussion of the committee's purposes, progress, and conclusions; and
- file a written report of the study committee's findings and recommendations with the county executive, the county legislative body, and the county clerk no later than one year after the convening of the study committee's first meeting (held March 8, 2019)
The County Council Administration office is tasked with assisting the Study Committee to provide administrative support, office space, and photocopies for the entire form of government study process, including posting the open, public meeting notices.
The Grand County Change of Form of Government- Study Committee is an official body as recognized by the State of Utah and is required to post public meeting notices, audio recordings and minutes to the Public Meeting Notice Website. Agendas, minutes and recordings are also posted on this website for your convenience.